The gnathologist is a specialist in curing all of those disorders related to a bad occlusion of the jaw and the muscular system. Among the most important mandibular functions we find: chewing, swallowing, phonatory and postural function.
The gnathologist is always part of the branch of dentistry but should not be confused with the dentist as they deal with totally different tasks. If dentistry takes care of the oral cavity in a general way, those who practice gnathology deal with the study and treatment of the pathologies that form in the joints of the mouth. But what is it about? In this article we will show you why you should not underestimate some symptoms.
When is it necessary to visit a gnathologist?
It is necessary to consult a gnathologist when you experience problems such as:
- Difficulty opening and closing the mouth
- Pains in the face and neck
- Headache and occlusion
- Jaw pains
- Facial or neck pain
- Dizziness or a sense of instability
- Postural problems
- Jaw lock.
Among the pathologies listed above, we also find a known pathology: bruxism.
Why it is important to make a specialist visit
The visit with the specialist in gnathology is important and will follow these steps:
- the specialist will ask the patient to tell him about the accused ailments in chronological order
- after having the clinical history told, he is able to trace a correct clinical picture
- depending on the case, specific investigations are carried out such as digital x-rays, electromyographic examination, joint assembly of plaster models, etc.
At the end of the check-up, a specialist in gnathology will be able to understand whether the ailments accused by the patient can be related to a malocclusion problem.
In our Sanident center in Milan, in via Settembrini, 6, through diagnostic investigations, it is possible to intervene to solve gnathological problems. Come and visit us and book a first visit without obligation.